A rumor building the rounds on the internet claims that an employee for the confectionery firm Cadbury was caught carrying out the unthinkable to candy he produced during his workday.
“ This is actually the guy who added his infected blood to Cadbury products, ” reads the caption under a picture of a guy being led away in handcuffs. “For another few weeks usually do not eat any products from Cadbury, as a worker from the company has added this blood contaminated with HIV (AIDS). It was demonstrated yesterday on BBC News. ”
The problem? It had been hardly ever on the BBC – and it’s not true.
The claim can be an Easter-themed undertake a rumor that’s produced the rounds for days gone by many years, according to Snopes. Various other variations of the hoax state the same guy added his HIV-infected bloodstream to other popular items, like Pepsi.
And you don’t need to throw out the one you love Easter candy, because it’s completely false – not that it might be an issue if a Cadbury worker focusing on the production series did have HIV.
How HIV is transmitted
It’s not through simply touching the saliva or bloodstream of an infected person.
Based on the U. S. Centers for Disease Control, HIV can only just be transmitted through specific fluids, like semen and blood, along with pre-seminal, vaginal and rectal liquids – and breast milk.
And to allow them to infect your partner, they have to are exposed to damaged cells, a mucous membrane (like those in the vagina, mouth area or anus) or end up being directly injected into bloodstream with a syringe or needle.
Even consuming food contaminated with the bloodstream of an HIV-positive person won’t provide you with the disease, based on the CDC. “Also if the meals contained smaller amounts of HIV-contaminated semen or blood, exposure to the new air, high temperature from cooking and gastric acid would damage the virus, ” the CDC writes on its internet site.
The guy in the picture – Sadiq Ogwuche – was actually arrested regarding the a 2014 bombing in Nigeria.
The real threat of eating Easter candy
So , now there aren’t a whole lot of health threats with eating Easter candy ( apart from a mad sugar hurry ).
Having said that, little kids ought to be supervised if they gorge in Cadbury confections through the holiday, in least small ones.
A British mom issued a caution about giving little children the Mini Cadbury Creme Eggs within their baskets.
“I watched the light slide from my baby’s eye, I tried in vain to save lots of her, ” the anonymous female wrote of the loss of life of her daughter 3 years ago.
“She had choked on a Mini Egg and I was struggling to dislodge it, with back slaps and pushing up under her ribs actually, ” she wrote. “I got done an initial aid course half a year just before this event therefore all the ways to help a choking kid were still refreshing in my mind nonetheless it didn’t help. ”
“If your children appreciate these chocolate treats please watch them extra close and remind them to sit back whilst consuming them or prevent them altogether. ”